CPCU® 551 Passing Grade
The passing grade for the CPCU® 551 exam is 70%. This means you must answer 70% of the questions correctly to receive a passing grade on the CPCU® 551.
In this blog, we will breakdown the passing grade and pass rate of the CPCU® 551 exam.
CPCU® 551 Passing Score (answer 60 correctly)
Since the CPCU® 551 exam is 85 questions long, this means you must answer 60 questions correctly (you can get 25 wrong) to earn a passing grade on the CPCU® 551. I recommend you practice with real exam questions, make sure you are answering 90% of your practice exam questions correctly before you attempt the real exam. For all AssociatePI students using the CPCU® 551 Practice Exams Course, refer to the two full practice exams at the end of the course (85 questions each) and ensure you are scoring a 90% or better before taking the official exam. These full practice exams are designed to mimic the feel and format of the official exam, this will indicate if you are prepared for the real exam.
CPCU® 551 Pass Rate
According to nationally published CPCU® pass rates, the CPCU® 551 is right in the middle in terms of difficulty. The pass rate is typically around 75%. This means, out of everyone that attempts the CPCU® 551 exam, 75% pass.
I want to warn you, the content is difficult. In our opinion, this is a very difficult exam. Even though the pass rate is higher than other exams, the content of the exam is by no means easy. Especially if you do not have commercial insurance experience.
This exam is not easier than the other CPCU® exams. In fact, all of the content in this exam is new. It is all based on commercial insurance, meaning you have probably never seen these topics before, and you definitely did not see these topics in your prior CPCU® exams.
How to Pass the CPCU® 551
The CPCU® 551 is a tough exam, but here are a couple of tips to make the entire process easier. If you focus and give yourself a little extra time you’ll have absolutely no problem at all passing the CPCU® 551 exam on the first attempt.
1) Study each chapter: Treat each chapter as its own textbook. Read each chapter and memorize the endorsements and coverages as you go. Don’t wait until the end to memorize definitions, you’ll be overwhelmed.
2) Make a study guide: Make your own personal study guide and cheat sheet while you’re reading through the course. Taking notes and writing down the definitions may seem tedious but it will pay off in the end. I can’t stress enough that there’s a TON of content to memorize for the CPCU® 551 exam, you don’t want to be stuck reading and re-reading the entire course so be sure to take notes while reading through the course. This way you can refer back to your notes to study rather than re-reading the entire course.
3) Practice, practice, practice: Take as many practice exam and quizzes as you possibly can. This will help you familiarize yourself with the CPCU® question format and help you determine which topics you need to re-study. Once you go through a few practice quizzes and exams, return to your notes and review any section that you failed.
Free Practice Exam
Ready to get started studying? We’re here to help (for free). Download our free CPCU® 551 practice exams to get a feel for the type of questions you will see on the exam.
For more information about the CPCU® 551 exam, checkout some of our other free resources:
- CPCU® 551 exam questions
- CPCU® 551 exam format
- CPCU® 551 exam difficulty
- CPCU® 551 flash cards
- CPCU® 551 passing grade
- CPCU® 551 Q&A
- CPCU® Designation Overview
- CPCU® Exam Pass Rates
Difficulty rank, importance rank, and the advice provided in this resource are solely the opinion of AssociatePI. This resource is intended to provide you with a general idea of where your focus should be. Each exam administered by The Institutes is different. AssociatePI is not affiliated with The Institutes or involved in the exam writing process. Please be sure to thoroughly study every chapter and every topic of this course.
CPCU® exams are administered by the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (“The Institutes”). AssociatePI does not administer the actual exams, we are an independent resource of free content, advice, and study material for professional insurance education. This blog is intended for informational purposes only, to inform prospective students of the benefit of the CPCU® designation.
CPCU®, ARM™ and API™ are trademarks of the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (“The Institutes”). AssociatePI LLC is not affiliated with, associated with, endorsed by or otherwise supported or recognized by The Institutes in any way. AssociatePI LLC is not authorized by The Institutes to offer courses, practice examinations, or any other resources related to the Institutes’ designations or other programs.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the links throughout this article are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, AssociatePI will earn a commission if you click through the link and make a purchase.
We only promote products or services that we have personally used and truly feel deliver value to our readers.
Please note that AssociatePI has not been given any free products, services, or perks by these companies in exchange for mentioning them in this article. The only consideration is in the form of affiliate commissions or compensation from select products or services that we have used and recommend.