CPCU® 530 Difficulty
The CPCU® 530 exam is the third CPCU® exam in a series of eight required exams to complete your CPCU® designation. This exam consists of 85 multiple choice questions split up into two sections: 55 part A questions (concept questions) and 30 part B questions (case questions).
For more insight, see our blog about the CPCU® 530 exam format.
CPCU® 530 Difficulty – Definitions
According to nationally published CPCU® pass rates, the CPCU® 530 has one of the lowest success rates out of all the CPCU® exams. The pass rate is typically around a 72% pass ratio. The numbers don’t lie! In my opinion, the CPCU® 530 was one of the toughest of all the CPCU® exams. For my non-lawyer brain, the CPCU® 530 content just didn’t click. It took a lot of reading and re-reading to drill down the complex legal concepts.
The CPCU® 530 exam focuses on business law topics, including: contract law, commercial law, property law, tort law and agency law. The reason this exam is tougher than most is because we’re insurance professionals, not lawyers! The questions are based on definitions and legal concepts, each with minor details and stipulations. Now definition based sounds easy, anyone can memorize a couple definitions, but the reason the 530 is so hard is because you’ve probably never heard of these definitions before and each statute has a million stipulations and minor details.
The hardest part of the CPCU® 530 will be memorizing each statute, definition, and concept. There’s a LOT to memorize. Almost every single question on the CPCU® 530 exam will be based on some type of definition, there really isn’t any analytical questions on the 530. Focus first on memorizing the definition, then memorize the minor differences and complexities between each definition. The CPCU® 530 will try to trick you by asking about the minor differences between statutes and will even makeup the name of a statute to try and trick you!
Now that I’ve scared you, here’s why you’re going to easily pass the CPCU® 530. We’re going to learn from everyone else’s mistakes. Follow this plan of action while studying and you’ll have no trouble passing.
CPCU® 530 Difficulty – Study Plan
- Read each chapter individually.
- After each chapter, go back and jot down each definition from the chapter.
- After you write down the definition, make a few bullet points under the definition and note the minor complexities and details that could be on the exam.
- Compare each definition of the chapter to one another. This will help you realize the subtle differences between each statute.
- Study the definitions as a whole. Once you finish the textbook, go back and look at your huge list of definitions. Go back through and make sure you’ve memorized each.
Three Study Tips
1) Study each chapter: Treat each chapter like its own textbook. Read each chapter and memorize the definitions as you go, don’t wait until the end to go back through the definitions; you’ll be overwhelmed with the amount you need to memorize.
2) Make a study guide: Taking notes and making a personal study guide is a great way to improve your ability to recall information on the exam. Make sure your study guide is short and easy to quickly review; this will help you keep track of those minor details and creates a reference sheet for you to review rather than re-reading the textbook.
3) Practice, practice, practice: Take as many practice exam and quizzes as you possibly can. This will help you familiarize yourself with the CPCU® 530 question format and help you determine which topics you need to re-study. Once you go through a few practice quizzes and exams, return to your notes and review any section that you failed.
Free Practice Exam
Ready to get started studying? We’re here to help (for free). Download our free CPCU® 530 practice exams to get a feel for the type of questions you will see on the exam.
For more information about the CPCU® 530 exam, checkout some of our other free resources:
- CPCU® 530 exam difficulty
- CPCU® 530 exam questions
- CPCU® 530 exam format
- CPCU® 530 video series
- CPCU® Designation Overview
- CPCU® Designation Salary
- CPCU® Cost
- CPCU® Exam Pass Rates
Remember, every CPCU® exam is different. No single exam is the same. Be sure to study ALL topics (not just our recommendation). This resource is intended to provide you with a general idea of where your focus should be. Make sure to thoroughly study every topic of this exam.
Difficulty rank, importance rank, and the advice provided in this resource are solely the opinion of AssociatePI. This resource is intended to provide you with a general idea of where your focus should be. Each exam administered by The Institutes is different. AssociatePI is not affiliated with The Institutes or involved in the exam writing process. Please be sure to thoroughly study every chapter and every topic of this course.
CPCU® exams are administered by the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (“The Institutes”). AssociatePI does not administer the actual exams, we are an independent resource of free content, advice, and study material for professional insurance education. This blog is intended for informational purposes only, to inform prospective students of the benefit of the CPCU® designation.
CPCU® and API™ are trademarks of the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (“The Institutes”). AssociatePI LLC is not affiliated with, associated with, endorsed by or otherwise supported or recognized by The Institutes in any way. AssociatePI LLC is not authorized by The Institutes to offer courses, practice examinations, or any other resources related to the Institutes’ designations or other programs.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.